Tuesday 15 May 2018

Real Junk Food | Manchester

It’s definitely safe to say I have been beyonddd slacking with my blog. Partly because I felt unmotivated and was struggling to think of things I really wanted to write about, but also because my university workload has been a handful!
Nevertheless, I am back with a new post, finally trying to get back into the swing of things!

So recently I came across a restaurant called Real Junk Food, which is situated on Oxford Road in Manchester City centre and was intrigued by it whenever I walked past. Was it actual junk food, as in fast food? But what did the ‘Real’ aspect mean? Well, this particular restaurant is different from most because it is ‘not-for-profit’ and only uses ingredients and produce that would have otherwise been thrown out. The aim of the company is to ‘reduce as much food waste as possible’ therefore tackling environmental issues. The food is still served to a high standard just as any other restaurant would be.. even though the ingredients are all recycled ‘waste’, now that sounds like a pretty cool concept right?



Since the restaurant is not-for-profit, it functions on a pay as you feel basis. So, in summary, you pay what you feel the food is worth, or what you can afford to spare. Upon entering the restaurant it has refreshingly light decor, with hanging plants all around and chalkboard walls filled with artwork and writing. The decor makes the place feel fun and upbeat, which of course goes perfectly with the whole concept of the place. There is an immediate sense of community spirit to the restaurant, the staff are all volunteers so do not get paid for their time, yet were extremely polite and genuinely welcoming towards each and every customer.



I noticed evident regulars, particlary some homeless men, that were on a first name basis with all the volunteers and had genuine expressions of excitement as they paced down the stairs to the lower level seating area, food in hand. The restaurant also appeared popular with customers who are on their lunch break, dressed in suits and work attire, popping in for some lunch and a coffee fix.



I sat in the downstairs seating area and there was a small chalkboard menu of food available to order that particular day, a selection of tea and coffee, and then a help yourself water and juice station. I ordered Boston beans on sourdough bread, topped with a fried egg and some spiced yoghurt, then a latte to drink. As an avid coffee drinker who has unashamedly tried the large majority of coffee that is recommended in Manchester, I found the coffee here extremely enjoyable and would definitely go back for that alone.



The food arrived fairly soon after the drinks and looked extremely appetising and was presented to just as high of a standard as some highly regarded restaurants I have previously eaten at in Manchester. Now for the important part, the taste. Myself and my friend were extremely satisfied with the food, and finished every last bit. Something as simple as that dish was delicious.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience at Real junk food, and would certainly visit again. I chose to pay £7.50 for my latte and food, and left more than satisfied with a pleasantly full stomach.


Amelia x






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig